In compliance with the executive order issued by Ohio Governor DeWine and Director of Public Health Dr. Acton, All EAA Chapter 1252 events are temporarily suspended. Please return to this website for further updates. In the meantime follow the advise of our health experts and stay safe.
Despite Chapter 1252 events having been either canceled or postponed we are planning a general meeting for all members and guests Tuesday evening, July 14th. This will most likely be an outdoor meeting. We will be announcing the exact time and location within the next week. It has been a long time since we've all been together so try to keep the date open.
Chapter 1252 Board Meeting Notes Monday 2/24/2020
In Attendance: Steve DeBrosse, Ray Ebner, Katie Hancheck, Paul Hancheck, Dan Maly, Mike McCoy
Chapter Leadership Academy
- Dan Maly's registration is now confirmed, and he will attend along with Ray Ebner and Mike McCoy. Ray hopes to fly the group if weather permits. The Chapter Leadership Academy will be held the weekend after Easter (4/18-4/19)
- The chapter is planning an April 25th Young Eagles Rally at Burke (BKL), to include students from Polaris, Davis A&M, and scouting organizations. Vicki Koziol will provide an update on the Boy Scouts potential participation.
- Mike McCoy is still trying to determine if chapter credits can be used towards Build and Fly kit purchases. Mike will follow up with EAA to determine credit balance.
Air Academy (AirVenture 2020)
- No interest has been raised from the chapter thus far. Mike McCoy has held off on signing up. The two upper age brackets (Basic Camp (14-15) and Advanced Camp (16-18)) are already booked up, and are wait list only.
Build and Fly
Mike McCoy will draft a Build and Fly program introduction letter. Once it is ready, Steve DeBrosse will distribute to the membership list via e-mail.
- David has his Private Pilot check ride scheduled for 3/6.
- Chapter 1252 did not make the deadline for this year's EAA Ray Scholarship program. Katie Hancheck is checking with EAA national whether there will be a second application window, and any alternate options such as a partial scholarship.
- The group discussed whether AOPA would be another option for sponsorship.
- Katie Hancheck is looking into additional options for sponsorship (e.g. manufacturers, airlines, etc.)
- Mike Worthington has a group of Polaris students who are interested in flight training scholarships. Mike Hill is currently working with Davis A&M students to provide primary flight training, and those students are also interested in scholarships.
- No speaker scheduled for March. The March 3rd meeting will feature the EAA ChapterGram video and the IMC Club video/discussion.
- Katie looked through the speaker list on EAA for potential options for future meetings.
- Vern Rodgers was suggested as April speaker (Parker Hannifin—Wheel and Brake)
- Dan Maly suggested NASA Glenn as a potential option for obtaining speakers. Katie found a form online to request a speaker; a 6 to 8 week lead time is required for booking.
- Dan Maly suggested contacting the Air National Guard in Mansfield. Ray Ebner will talk with Mike Worthington, who is planning a class visit with the ANG.
Discover Aviation Day/EAA National Learn to Fly Day 2020
- The group discussed a recent mailing from EAA National regarding EAA's annual Learn to Fly Day, also scheduled for Saturday, May 16th.
- National would provide a presentation and promotional materials. Chapters that host a Flying Start event during the month of May will received two free weekly passes to AirVenture 2020.
- The requirements:
- A place to meet
- Volunteer pilots to give Eagle Flights
- A CFI from a local flight school or flying club
- Presentation and promotional materials from EAA (PowerPoint/Facebook content will be furnished by EAA National.)
- The group discussed that at past Discover Aviation Days, adults who expressed interest in flight training have been referred to the Discover Aviation Flying Club (Private Pilot training or advanced ratings) or Zone Aviation (Sport Pilot training.)
- The group discussed requiring Eagle Flight applicants to attend a follow-up chapter meeting in order to register. This would help limit to serious applicants vs. those just looking for a free airplane ride.
- Ray Ebner confirmed that he has not received any recent communication from EAA National.
- atie Hancheck reminded the group that youth 18 and under can attend AirVenture 2020 free courtesy of Boeing. Other planned AirVenture highlights include WWII 75th anniversary and the Canadian Snowbirds flight team.
......Please let me know if you wish to be removed from this distribution list.Thank you,Steve DeBrosse
January 2020 EAA 1252 board meeting notes
Here are the notes from the Tuesday, 1/7/2020 EAA Chapter 1252 meeting.
New officers were elected at the December 2019 board meeting. Officers are:
Ray Ebner, President
Katie Hancheck, Vice President
Ted Green, Treasurer
Steve DeBrosse, Secretary
Mike McCoy, Young Eagles Coordinator
Paul Koziol, Flight Advisor
Katie Hancheck, Scholarship Coordinator
Ray Ebner, IMC Club Coordinator
Dan Maly, Web Editor
EAA Chapter Leadership Academy
Signups for the EAA Chapter Leadership Academy in Oshkosh are now open.
Ray Ebner and Mike McCoy are registered for the April session (weekend of 4/17.)
Young Eagles Program
Ray Ebner received a certificate honoring him for 300 Young Eagle flights.
The group discussed a potential Young Eagles Day for the Boy Scouts. Vicki Koziol will provide further updates on scheduling. A similar event was held in 2019 for the Lorain County Civil Air Patrol
Mike Worthington suggested planning a Young Eagles Day for his Polaris students (approximately 16 high school juniors and seniors.)
2020 Chapter Calendar Planning
February Chapter Meeting (Tuesday 2/4) - Jim Bede, son of Jim Bede, is scheduled to speak about the Bede Aircraft business.
More details on 2020 chapter meeting guest speakers to follow.
Discover Aviation Day will be Saturday, May 16, 2020
Flyro Gyro will be Saturday, September 19, 2020
The Columbia VFW announced a steak dinner fundraiser to assist veterans on Saturday 2/29/2020 at 5:30 PM. Tickets are $25 each.
Chapter Dues Reminder
Chapter 1252 annual dues are $20. Please pay Ted Green, Chapter Treasurer
Ray Aviation Scholarship Program Updates
The 2019 scholarship recipient, David, attended the meeting. He reported that he has passed his Private Pilot knowledge (written) exam. David is currently at 55 flight hours, and he is awaiting final flight with his instructor for signoff to proceed with his Private Pilot practical test (check ride.) He will then take his check ride as soon as signed off by his instructor and the weather permits. Once he receives his Private Pilot rating, he intends to move down to Florida to attend ATP Flight Academy towards becoming a CFI and a career pilot.
Katie Hancheck presented David with a shirt on behalf of EAA.
The 2020 chapter application window is now open. Katie Hancheck is working on putting in the chapter's application prior to the 1/31/2020 deadline.
Bob Barris presented EAA Chapter 1252 with a $250 donation.
Mike McCoy proposed putting the donation towards the $500 cost of the Build and Fly kit. Mike McCoy raised a motion, seconded by Katie Hancheck. Motion was approved without objection.
Build and Fly Program: Radio Control Model Build
EAA started the Build and Fly radio control model program in 2019, following AirVenture.
The program is Partnership between EAA and the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA.) Local EAA and AMA chapters partner up to sponsor builds. Chapter 1252 is partnering with the Lorain County R/C Club.
Anyone involved in the Build and Fly program is required to complete the EAA Protect Our Kids program. This requires a membership in EAA national. Mike McCoy is working with the Lorain County R/C Club so that their members can get six-month EAA memberships when the program starts.
The kit includes:
A pre-built practice aircraft that can be flown indoors
The kit is $500; would be approximately $1500 if components were purchased separately. Mike McCoy is awaiting pricing on additional planes.
Build activities will start in early sprint once the weather gets warmer. The build site is TBD. Mike McCoy is working out insurance coverage.
Other New Business
Sandy Mauer suggested a chapter fly-out this spring (April) to a location such as Port Clinton.
Ray Ebner received an e-mail from EAA Chapter 5 (Geauga County) requesting EAA Young Eagle credits to send some additional attendees to Air Academy in Oshkosh. Mike McCoy is awaiting a letter on current Chapter 1252 credit balance. Mike Worthington raised a motion to give the board decision authority to transfer credits to Chapter 5. Sarah Keesler seconded. Motion passed without objection.
Mike Worthington thanked the chapter for ongoing support of his Polaris students, including recognizing Sarah Keesler for the Oberlin ATC tour and Dan Maly for speaking about meteorology.
Please let me know if you have any questions, corrections, or additions to these notes.
EAA Chapter 1252
November 2019 EAA 1252 board meeting notes
Congratulations to the newly elected EAA Chapter 1252 officers!!
EAA Chapter 1252 Secretary
Hey everyone - our Boy Scout Aviation Merit Badge day is this Sunday, the 10th. We could really use a couple of more volunteers to help out. Please let Steve Janowski or me know if you can spare a couple of hours on Sunday. We will start at 9:00. There will be 5 stations & then lunch afterwards. There will be fewer than 30 scouts so it shouldn't take too long.
Here are some other notes from Tuesday's meeting:
It's election time again. The only nominations received are as follows:
Ray Ebner - president
Katie Hancheck - vice president
Sarah Keesler - secretary
Ted Green - treasurer
Steve Debrosse also mentioned he would be willing to help out
Anyone else interested in becoming an officer or nominating someone else? We will vote at the Christmas party or the next Board meeting. Other positions, which are appointed, include Young Eagle coordinator (Mike McCoy), Scholarship coordinator (Katie Hancheck), IMC Club (Ray Ebner), Newsletter Editor (open), Web Editor (Dan Maly), Eagle Flight coordinator (open), Membership Coordinator (open), Flight Advisor (open) & board members. Please contact any of the current officers if you are interested in any of these positions. This is your chance to help move the chapter forward!
Speaking of the Christmas party, we changed it from December 7th, to the 8th, still at the Koziol's, still starting around 3. We will put out an RSVP page & details on the gift exchange, back by popular demand! The Cleveland Chapter of Women in Aviation Int'l is having a pancake breakfast at the DAC hangar the morning of the 8th. Plenty of time to do both! (and even squeeze a little football in there too)
Our Ray Scholarship recipient, David Seville is doing great! He really enjoys flying, has already soled & is working on his cross country flights. He plans to take the written exam in the next week or so. He is progressing so well, we may have some funds left over & be able to help another student obtain a license. And - it's time to start looking for the next recipient between the age of 16 & 19! EAA is taking applications for a 2020 Ray Scholarship, now through January 31st.
Young Eagle report by Mike McCoy:
- We flew 5 kids at the CAP hangar last Saturday. Thank you Katie Hancheck, Paul Koziol & Dan Maly for running the YE flights & to Ken Sink for organizing the event!
- EAA is providing a new opportunity for us to pursue! They are providing an RC eKadet kit, including all the materials, tools, plans, instructions, & electronics, for a low cost of $500. We would team up with a local RC club & help youths build & then learn to fly the RC aircraft. Mike McCoy has volunteered to follow up on this project . Check out this article for more information.
Sn FYI - AOPA is holding a seminar on "Difficult Decisions" at Burke Lakefront Airport tonight, Nov 7th, starting at 7:00pm. Visit here for details.
We watched EAA Corp's October Chapter Gram:
EAA would like each of us to take the Chapter survey! To do so, click on this link
Take Survey Now
All chapter members are highly encouraged go to a Chapter leadership academy - always a great time. There is one coming up in January. These are in Oshkosh. There is no cost & EAA provides all lodging & meals. These camps are extremely educational yet fun. You will come back motivated!
Ray Ebner held an IMC club meeting, after the regular meeting. Lots of good discussion!
Watch your in-boxes for info on the Christmas party.
See you all soon!!
EAA Chapter 1252 secretary